Here is an exciting opportunity for you to join Anglo American (Mototolo Mine) as a General Miner with a legal accountability for construction blasting in terms of the MHSA.
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happen.
Anglo American has a portfolio of world-class mining operations. We mine, process, move and market the essential ingredients that enable a cleaner, more connected world and that meet fast growing consumer-driven demands for products from smartphones to electric cars. Our basic materials build homes, offices, railways and airports, and our diamonds fulfil people’s dreams.
Our Platinum business mines, processes and refines the entire range of platinum group metals (PGMs): platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium and osmium. We are the world’s leading primary producer of PGMs, which have a range of specialised applications that improve lives across the world – from vehicle fuel cells to jewellery; dentistry to glassmaking; pacemakers to petroleum refining.
The General Miner has a legal accountability for construction blasting in terms of the MHSA and will be required to contribute and assist the mining team with the execution of all tasks relating to the role. The role for a General Miner is varied in the mining structure from moving men, material and ore to construction within the mining domain.
Responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Ensure that the working areas are safe through inspections.
- Ensure that safety and mining standards are adhered to.
- Ensure that up to date operating standards and procedures are communicated, applied and understood by the team.
- Manage explosives and prepare blasting area to standard to ensure safe effective blasting.
- Monitor and correct the process regularly to ensure conformance to and understanding of standards.
- Continuously liaising with supervisors and team
- Continues liaison with the Shift Supervisor or Shaft Foreman in relation to operations and maintenance activities
- Compile an accurate shift report and forms to record operational progress and material orders
- Ensure that required job instructions and checklists are available to the team members
- Grade 10
- National Certificate NQF Level 3 Rock Breaker or Valid Blasting Certificate for underground (Hard Rock)
- 1 to 3 years’ experience as a Miner /Crew Captain
- Trackless mining experience will be advantageous
- If successful, you will be required to undergo a Medical Fitness Test
What we offer
When you join Anglo American you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package, but more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We are a large, successful multinational company – and we are still growing all the time.
Who we are?
Anglo American is a global diversified mining business. Our portfolio of world-class mining operations provides the metals and minerals that make modern life possible. We use innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine. We work together with our key partners and stakeholders to unlock the sustainable value that those resources represent for our shareholders, the communities and countries in which we operate and for society at large. Anglo American is re-imagining mining to improve people’s lives.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Closing Date: 28/09/2023