The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls (The Academy) is a world-class educational platform for girls which is aimed at nurturing a new generation of dynamic women leaders. This residential boarding school is situated in Meyerton, Gauteng Province, with just over 300 students enrolled in Grades 8 -12. Grade 12. Students write the Independent Examination Board (I.E.B.) NSC Examination.
The Interns will receive a monthly stipend, free accommodation and meals.
The Academy is an Independent Schools Association of Southern Africa (ISASA) member and is an equal opportunity employer.’
‘The Academy, in line with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), will attempt to ensure that the confidentiality of all applicants for this role is protected. All reasonable measures will be in place to protect personal information but will be used in the recruitment, selection and reporting process. By submitting your application, you are recognising and accepting this disclaimer.’
Duties & Responsibilities
OWLAG is committed to assist Interns with career development by providing real work experiences that provide students with opportunities to explore their interests and develop professional skills and competencies. The Interns will therefore be exposed in various areas of the Academy.
Interns will be expected to perform the following duties:
• Assist in the processing of library collections, including performing cataloguing, classifying, spine-labelling, and stamping.
• Shelving of books and journals.
• Check shelves for correct arrangement of books (referred to as “shelf reading”). • Assist with circulation desk services.
• Assist in updating the library database and managing the day-to-day operations of the library/documentation centre.
• Assist library clients with completion of library requests.
• Stock control and inventory management.
• Scan library documents and organize physical and digital files.
• Assist with programs, including room setup, craft preparation, crowd control, and clean-up.
• Perform other duties as designated by librarian and assistant librarian in the assigned work area
Knowledge, Skills and Attitude
• Knowledge and experience in Microsoft PowerPoint / Excel ;
• Attention to detail and a team player.
• Goal oriented and deadline driven.
• Ability to build and maintain effective and productive working relationships.
• Possess a strong working ethic.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Good report writing skills.
• Ability to multitask.
• Ability to use own judgement and discretion.
• Ability to listen and relate to each student.
• Demonstrate high levels of professionalism, competency and initiative.
• Act with the highest integrity and uphold the Academy’s standards and values (Respect, Honour, Compassion, Service, Responsibility and Accountability) at all times.
Desired Experience & Qualification Academic Requirements:
• Matric certificate.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Library and Information Studies or Studying towards the degree, should be in their 3rd or 4th year of study. (Proof of registration is required)
• Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise.
• Ability to fully participate in the school’s extramural programme.
• Registration to a professional body, like LIASA will be an added advantage. Due to the nature of this position, the successful incumbent will be required to:
• Work shifts; and
• Live on the Academy premises while on Academy duties.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates. Applications must be accompanied by a cover letter, CV with names of three contactable references, a copy of the highest qualification/s and a copy of identity. Interested candidates must register their profile at www.pnet.co.za to submit their application. Further information about the Academy can be found on its website (www.owlag.co.za)
Regrettably, emailed, faxed, and hand-delivered applications will not be considered. Only applications submitted through the Pnet portal will be considered. Only suitably qualified applications will be considered. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not heard from us by 30 September 2023. The Academy reserves the right not to fill this position