Dis-Chem Pharmacies has an opportunity available for a Pharmacist Intern for their Wynberg store. The purpose of this Internship is to equip learners to understand the underlying principles of all of the major areas related to the pharmaceutical environment and promoting the notion of quality lifelong learning.The provision of pharmaceutical care by taking responsibility for the patients medicine related needs and being accountable for meeting these needs.To provide excellent customer service
- Grade 12 / Matric
- BPharm – 4 year
- Computer literate – MS Office
- Work during degree – holiday work
- Unisolve and E-Scripting.
Function and Duties:
- Pharmacist intern may provide or perform all the services or acts pertaining to the scope of practice of a pharmacist’s assistant registered in the category pharmacist’s assistant (post-basic) under the direct personal supervision of a pharmacist in a pharmacy.
- the sale of Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 medicines or scheduled substances;
- assist with the compounding, manipulation or preparation of a non-sterile or sterile medicine or scheduled substance according to a formula and Standard Operating Procedures approved by the responsible pharmacist;
- assist with the manufacturing of a non-sterile or sterile medicine or scheduled substance according to a formula and Standard Operating Procedures approved by the responsible pharmacist;
- the re-packaging of medicine;
- the distribution and control of stock of Schedule 1 to Schedule 6 medicines or scheduled substances;
- the ordering of medicine and scheduled substances up to and including Schedule 6 according to an instruction of a person authorised in terms of the Medicines Act to purchase or obtain such medicine or scheduled substance;
- the reading and preparation of a prescription, the selection, manipulation or compounding of the medicine, the labelling and supply of the medicine in an appropriate container following the interpretation and evaluation of the prescription by a pharmacist;
- the provision of instructions regarding the correct use of medicine supplied; and
- the provision of information to individuals in order to promote health.
- Pharmacist intern may, for the purposes of education and training, provide or perform all of the services or acts pertaining, to the scope of practice of a pharmacist under the direct personal supervision of a pharmacist in a pharmacy
- Accurately interpret scripts and act in a professional and responsible manner and within the legal requirements in accordance with the South African Pharmaceutical Counsel.
- Capture script details accurately and verify patient’s details on the system.
- Ensure accurate picking / packing / labeling off medication and be aware of common dosages as well as important drug interactions.
- Give accurate instructions to the patients regarding the correct use of medicine supplied.
- Keep abreast of changes in medical aid procedures and requirements for claims and dispensing.
- Ensure that all prescriptions entered, are checked for accuracy by a pharmacist and signed by a pharmacist.
- Advise and assist patients at the dispensary, self-medication counter and front-shop.
- Follow up with patients regarding script tracking report as requested by the dispensary manager.
- Explain all medical aid cost to patients, including difference between medical aid and cash / shelf price, if applicable.
- Process all paperwork necessary for the accurate submission of claims to medical aids.
- Correct errors on scripts rejected by medical aid.
- Ensure authorization of chronic, HIV and AIDS and oncology medication.
- Maintain customer profiles on the system.
- Take note of any messages on the customer profile and take suitable action.
- Report on low – / out of stock levels and stock errors to the dispensary manager.
- Assist with scheduled stock takes.
- Exercise stock and asset control.
- Housekeeping must be in accordance to Dis-Chem standards.
- Adhere to Dis-Chem Policies and Procedures and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Adhere to Health and Safety rules and regulations.
- Adhere to Dis-Chem Uniform and personal appearance policy.
- English and second language – Read, write and speak
- Application of knowledge gained as per university B.Pharm curriculum
- Good communication skills, listening skills
- Customer service/focus
- Conflict management
- Strong attention to detail
- Sound numerical skills
- Team player
- Trustworthy and honest
- Time management and adherence to deadline
- Able to deal with pressure
- Computer literate – MS Office
- Knowledge of Retail/ FMCG operations
- 3rd Additional Language
- Drug and family planning, and complementary medicine
Special conditions of employment:
- Willing and able to work retail hours
- Controlled room temperature, security, limited space, health and safety, risk stock
- Physically fit and able to stand for long periods
- Valid driver’s license and own reliable transport
- Registered with Pharmacy Council – South African or valid work permit
- Clear credit and criminal records
Remuneration and benefits:
- Market-related salary
- Monthly and annual performance pay
- Medical aid
- Provident fund
- Staff account
ONLY SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED. IF YOU HAVEN`T BEEN CONTACTED WITHIN TWO WEEKS AFTER THE CLOSING DATE CONSIDER YOUR APPLICATION AS UNSUCCESSFUL.
Dis-Chem Pharmacies is an equal opportunity employer. Dis-Chem’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process aligned to Dis-Chem’s Employment Equity & Transformation Strategy. Dis-Chem actively supports the recruitment of People with Disabilities.