A vacancy currently exists for a Field Ranger in Agulhas National Park. The successful candidate will be reporting to the relevant Section Ranger. The remuneration package includes a basic salary, based on the salary scale of a position with a Paterson B3 job grade and allowances and benefits as specified in the HR Tariff Document and Conditions of Service of SANParks. The successful candidate will have to provide their own accommodation as there is no official accommodation in the park.
Only interested persons who meet the above-stated requirement should apply using the following link:
Supporting Documents such as certified copies of qualifications, ID & Driver’s License and other relevant documents must be emailed to [email protected] using reference number AG03 in the subject.
For enquiries: Contact Elizabeth Graaff – Tel: 028 435 6078.
Applications that have not been responded to within 21 days should be regarded as unsuccessful.
- Grade 12 (Std 10) with at least 3 years relevant experience or a National Diploma in Nature Conservation or related qualification with 2 years relevant experience
- Practical experience or knowledge in alien clearing, erosion control, monitoring, law enforcement and fire management
- Working knowledge of relevant conservation legislation
- Valid code 8/10 driver’s license
- Clear Criminal Record (candidates will be screened)
- High level of physical fitness (candidates may be expected to undergo a fitness test)
- Availability to work flexible hours e.g., weekends, public holidays, standby duties as and when required
- Professional Drivers Permit
- Firearm competency
- Conduct Foot/Vehicle/Vessel Patrols within the boundaries of the Park & MPA
- Mapping of the area and objects of special concern for the management of area integrity and research purposes
- Conduct law enforcement – Issuing of fines (J534’s), arrests, processing of evidence (from a crime scene to court law) and court appearances as a state witness as well as compliance
- Assist with rescue operations and medical incidents, environmental education
- In the absence of the supervisor, deploy staff to relevant posts
- Assist the Ranger Corporal with biodiversity and natural resources management, asset control and general administration tasks
- Maintain law and order amongst staff members, guests and all other stakeholders within the protected areas
- Capturing of field data electronically, including situational reports and assisting with the implementation of management plans/actions
- Assist with monthly timesheets, vehicle/vessel log sheets, daily recording of activities in the pocket and occurrence books
- Assist with visitor access, safety and security – gate management, gate guarding, traffic/vessel management and late arrivals
- Assist with Game capture, Game count and culling
- Assist in joint operations with other Law Enforcement agencies
- Monitor BSP Teams and conduct site inspections in terms of site specifications
- Assist with the overall maintenance of infrastructure – terrain, waterholes, equipment, tools, vehicles, vessels etc.
- Construct fire breaks along park boundaries and infrastructure
- Assist with Erosion Control and Rehabilitation
- Assist with prescribed burns and wildfires
R 136 175 – R 177 607