The multimedia editor will oversee the strategic and creative execution of photos, video and audio content on all City Press platforms. The editor will also oversee and manage the photography department.
City Press is a respected news brand that publishes across platforms. Its flagship print edition is distributed nationally on a Sunday, but it also has a popular online platform, newsletters, and social media platforms that are growing quickly and are followed closely by influencers and readers.
- Identify and conceptualise strong, unique, multimedia stories;
- Grow the video audience on digital platforms, through news video and well produced documentaries;
- Conceptualise and execute our audio strategy with a focus on podcasts;
- Ensure the photo, video and audio content produced is of a high standard, in a fast turnaround time across platforms;
- Manage the multimedia team’s output and quality of work;
- Monthly reporting analysing site traffic – provide weekly and monthly reports analysing video trends, audience engagement and content reach;
- Stay abreast of online video industry standards and techniques, changing digital technology, journalism trends and multimedia competitors;
- Liaise closely with journalists and section editors to determine the daily news diary and long-term projects.
Skills and competencies:
- Excellent manager of people with the ability to delegate and manage complex projects;
- Thorough understanding of the photography, video and audio production process;
- Thorough understanding of the South African current affairs and political landscape;
- Understanding of relevant analytics platforms, including Oovvuu, YouTube and Google Analytics;
- The ability to perform work of high-quality under pressure;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Goal-driven with the proven ability to achieve targets.
Qualifications and experience:
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in a national newsroom;
- Background in broadcast, audio or online video publishing;
- At least three years’ in a multimedia role supervising a team;
- Video and camera editing skills;
- A relevant tertiary qualification.
Given the employment equity policy of Media24, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups.