Grain Field Chickens, a subsidiary of VKB Agriculture (PTY) Ltd, is a dynamic role player in the integrated broiler industry with an abattoir in Reitz in the North Eastern Free State. We offer you the opportunity to establish yourself within a professional, corporate environment in the countryside.
Responsible for carrying out a range of mechanical work on machines, assemblies and manufactured parts using a range of processes, tools, and machines according to standard operating procedures.
- Grade 12 or NQF Level 4 Equivalent.
- N3 Mechanical engineering.
- Mechanical Fitter or Fitter & Turner Trade Certificate.
- At least 3 years’ proven work-related experience.
- Experience within the FMCG environment will be an advantage.
- Working knowledge of pneumatics, pumps, conveyors, shafts, sprockets, bearings, and gearboxes.
- Experience on other lines such as EV, Defeathering, Packing & Receiving will be advantageous.
- Valid driver’s licence.
- A willingness to work overtime, shifts and weekends when required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Do start-up of all plant equipment and repair problems before commencement of production shifts.
- Perform maintenance in the Cut-up departments on equipment such as: ACM’s, Injectors, Mixing Stations, Overhead lines, Conveyors etc.
- Ensure that the equipment is washed, that damaged and broken machines and equipment are repaired according to company standards.
- Make sure that all safety parts are working and tested on a daily basis on all equipment.
- Ensure the relevant sections are mechanically ready for production at all times.
- Do maintenance on plant equipment on weekends as per shift roster and scheduled maintenance program.
- Ensure that check sheets are filled in daily and all deviations are reported to Planner and Mechanical Manager.
- Do breakdowns as per agreed on the whole plant where needed.
- Ensure machine failure and breakdowns are reported to the Mechanical Manager and recorded on the daily log sheet of production, and job cards are filled in correctly and signed off by production and maintenance.
- Ensure breakdowns are done thoroughly and respond to processing quickly with the correct tools and spares.
- Ensure that inspections are done as per job cards issued.
- Apply and enforce ISO / HACCP / Health & Safety Standards/ 20 Keys in the workplace.
- Complete all compulsory training interventions.
- Mentor apprentices to ensure they follow company and standard practices and processes.
- Perform any other duties as may be required by line managers.
- Basis awareness training in manual handling, working at heights and confined spaces.
- Understanding of production procedures.
- Knowledge of health and safety procedures (PPE).
- Ability to read manuals, blueprints and schematics.
- Good communication skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Team player.
- Able to work under pressure.
The company can expire jobs at any time at our own discretion. Should you not have received a response within 4 weeks of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application as unsuccessful.