Faircape Health provides the full continuum of care at six world-class healthcare facilities located on-site at six luxury, retirement villages.
The services of an experienced, compassionate Independent Registered Nurse Contractor (SLA Agreement) is required. The successful applicant must be available to assist within all our healthcare centres when required.
The Registered Nurse will administer care to patients inclusive of frail care, mental health, assisted living, and subacute within our village in the Southern Suburbs of the Western Cape.
If you wish to occupy this station in a dynamic, and collaborative environment with a Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) of primary and allied healthcare professionals, then this is a remarkable career opportunity.
Should you wish to make a difference, then this is an opportunity not to be missed.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Do morning handover according to ISBAR procedure with Shift leader on opposite shift and may delegate handover to duty Sr according to allocation
- Ensure all reporting is up to date for handover and all information is checked when receiving a handover
Administration and reporting
- Daily reporting to the NSM on any interventions during the shift
- Thorough reporting during shift change
- Follow up on new scripts and phone the pharmacy to arrange
- Follow up on DR’s appointments
- Follow up on all tests (blood, urnite) and receive results.
- Do adjustments to medicine and care plans on our internal system.
- Incident reporting
- Report IOD to HR and NSM
- Summary report / non-charting auditing
- Manage medication administration to the residents as per allocation
- Monitoring of scheduled drugs
- Weekly drug checks
- Ensure all blister packaged medication is available on the trolley, checked and signed by 2 Registered Nurses.
- Manage any adverse effects by contacting Dr immediately for intervention and further treatment orders.
MDT and Interaction with Professionals
- Regular MDT meetings with the in-house healthcare support team
- Regular meetings with outside healthcare professionals and amend care plans and systems upon their recommendation of a specific resident
Resident admissions and Discharges
- Manage all admissions to the unit with the HCA and ensure all relevant requirements are in place and admission allocated to specific people
- Manage all documentation for admission, progress and discharge
- Assessment of patient upon admission
- Draw up person-centred care plan
- Contact medical doctors and families
- Organise medication for patients and follow up on scripts at discharge
- Manage discharge process with family and residents
Responsible for all clinical functions as pre scope of Practice of a Registered Nurse, this includes but is not limited to:
- Wound care, pressure care, ostomy care
- Managing skin lesions
- Catheter care including flushing intervention
- Weighing patients on admission and according to care plan
- Do regular resident rounds to monitor that every resident is receiving the care required and that quality care for all tasks is maintained
- Assess patients on specific areas of concern and adjust the care plan as needed
- Ensure that Doctor’s prescriptions and physio recommendations are carried out and included in the nursing care plan
- Consult with the NSM regarding any clinical concerns or quality of care issues
- Educate and manage staff on health and safety-related issues
- Maintain effective infection control practices
- Manage the prevention and reporting of incidents
- Liaise with Housekeeper Supervisor on any housekeeping and laundry concerns
Emergency and deaths
- Follow policy in the case of panic button alerts
- Act according to the patient’s living will in case of emergency or resuscitation
- Phone emergency services immediately for village emergencies
- Phone Doctor of resident in case of emergency
- Phone family in the case of death to inform them in a calm and dignified manner
- In the case of a death, phone the undertaker
- Liaise with the family regarding the resident’s belongings and any other arrangements, including a memorial at the HCC (if applicable)
- Manage the overnight stock cupboard, ensure all used stock is charged to the resident account
- Overnight cupboard – assist the HCA to count stock daily on the stock sheet
- Daily check of the emergency trolley, ensure it is securely locked and only to be used during a life-threatening situation
- Check trays and diet list and approve
- Ensure that the Food Ambassador performs duties according to the job description
- Confirm meal sheets, cancellations and new admissions are correctly added
- Handle all food-related complaints and refer to the Food Services Manager
- Control cancellations
Qualifications – SANC registered as a Registered Nurse. Up to date BLS.
Experience and Knowledge – Dementia care, frail care, relevant experience of taking charge of a shift, sub-acute, palliative care, rehab, strokes, orthopaedic, care for patients with IV therapy.
Skills – Strong interpersonal skills, professional communication, ability to work under pressure, managerial skills, making sound decisions, proactive, organisational skills, computer literate, professional, focused, fluent in English.
Attributes – Well-spoken, neat, compassionate, well-presented, able to converse with people on different levels – staff, families, MDT, and other professionals coming into the facility. Assists the Nursing Manager in meeting regulations as well as company policies and procedures.
Working Hours – Should you be called on, Day shifts are 07h00 to 19h00 and Night Shifts are from 19h00 to 07h00.
Benefits – This is a Service Level Agreement and a daily rate will apply to this agreement.
To see more about Faircape and what we have to offer go and look at our informative website – https://faircape.co.za/
To learn more about Faircape, please see below a link to our Magazine –
If you do not hear from us within two weeks, please deem your application unsuccessful.